Managing your tags and taxonomy
Admins can manage the tags and taxonomy by clicking the menu top right, and choosing 'Tags and taxonomy'.
Good quality tagging is the key to a successful repository.
We found that a locked taxonomy meant that people were far less likely to tag their work. Instead we have the concept of defined and undefined tags.
- Defined tags - include a description of what the tag means aiding understanding of how to use it as well as telling us that it is officially part of the taxonomy.
- Undefined tags - Tags without aren't officially part of the taxonomy. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use it (as that will give us a better idea of what tags are important).
Admins can see list of tags (in the menu top right) and manage them. They can:
- Define - Add a description and make that tag official
- Rename - This will change that tag everywhere it is used
- Merge - Take two or more tags and merge them in to one tag
- Delete - Remove the tag entirely
These simple but powerful tools make managing your taxonomy a breese without putting up barriers for everyone else.